20 August 2010

For My Closet

a

I've been extra good lately about putting things in the Etsy shop rather than in my closet but there are a few pieces I snagged for myself with cooler weather in mind. That first dress in a 70s era Lanz one that was big and poofy but I really like the bandanna sort of print and thought it could be reworked into something I liked. It took a day's worth of sewing and seam ripping but I finally got the hem shortened, the sleeves de-poofed and made a belt out of the leftover fabric. Now I can't wait to wear it with boots and a beret.

I think one thing that makes me like fall/winter clothes the most is the fabrics. Corduroy! Tweed! Wool! The next two dresses are wonderful examples. The corduroy jumper is actually an Etsy find I've been holding onto waiting for cooler weather (the pockets are the best!) and the 60s tweed plaid shift dress is a thrift find (also with lovely pockets!). The sweater is the sort of thing I always find and end up selling in the shop so I never have one for myself. I fell in love with the colors of this one so I'm sure I'll be snuggling up in it quite a bit this winter.

Also on the fall wishlist are carpet bags. I thrifted these two recently and will be keeping them for myself for a bit until they (maybe) end up in the shop. The tote bag is perfect for fall trips to the farmer's market. The other bag has a fun story behind it and I have to send out a big thank you to Lauren for so generously letting me keep it.

One day a couple of weeks ago I stopped by a local thrift store while running some errands. I'd only been in it for a few minutes when a gal approached me and asked if I ran a blog... I said yes and she let me know she was a reader that lived in the area. It was the first time I'd been "spotted" in public so, Lauren, I hope I wasn't too awkward! She was sweet as pie and we chatted about the blog, our favorite thrifting spots, the best place to get Thai food in Lancaster and, of course, the weather. She had just picked up that lovely carpet bag and said it reminded her of me and wanted to know if I'd like to have it. Of course! Thanks so much Lauren!

b

10 comments:

afreckledlip said...

I love all of it, but especially the brown dress (love the pockets) and the bags. Great fall finds.

Maria Confer said...

Oh, I don't blame you one bit. These items are so awesome.

Lulu Letty

YEYE STYLE BLOG said...

Thats so sweet, I had that happen to me recently too. I am feeling the Fall today in Montreal, Ive been buying up tights and socks everywhere I go! I really like #3 the pockets are so cute ;)

a+

-Izzy

Zohar said...

The corduroy jumper is so lovely! And you're right the pockets are so great :) I would love that for myself

Lindsey Reiser said...

LOVE that second carpet bag, the asymmetrical pattern is gorgeous.

kathy said...

Oh wow, that's so sweet of her (i don't think i would have given that bag up!) xx

http://5678vintage.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

i like the brown dress and the olive shift dress. i'd have constant conflict of interest if i open a shop of my own. i have a lovely carpet bag that i've worn only twice. i just want it to stay useless in MY closet. tsk.

Penny Dreadful Vintage said...

Good work on the first dress, it is worth it - so gorgeous. The two bags are lovely too. I'll be sad to see summer go, but these picks start to make me feel ok about autumn coming :)

Leah said...

that 60s shift dress is to die for. perfect for autumn, and for you!

Anonymous said...

I lovelovelove the cardigan! Looking for one that's similar now...