17 December 2010

150 Years of Vassar

a

This week's photography spotlight is not about one photographer, rather one collection of photography. 150 Years of Vassar is just that... a history of the university told through 150 years of photography. The photos range from the women's 1901 basketball team in their wool turtlenecks and Gibson girl hairdos through present day. Of course my interest in the photos waned around 1969 when the photos turned color (and boys were admitted to the university!).

It was so much fun to scroll through the photos and see the evolution of fashion from completely modest long sleeve dresses to floral cotton smocks to preppy skirts and loafers. Here are just a few of my favorites. Well, there are a lot of photos here, but I had a lot of favorites!

b

11 comments:

Jessica said...

I'm so excited about your new photography features! This one especially takes my breath away. Keep 'em comin'.
x

Maria Confer said...

I could only imagine how amazing it would be to attend college in the early 1900s. Amazing photos.

xx
Maria
Lulu Letty

KristiMcMurry said...

This is so fantastic! I love the one where the girl has her leg propped up on the desk.

Anonymous said...

They are soo cool! i love seeing really old photos!

marja <3

Rosaspina Vintage said...

Oh these are amazing Jennifer! I love the hairspray picture!!! :D
And the girl reading the book is so pretty too!

Charmaine said...

I graduated from vassar a few years ago and have been fondly missing the beautiful campus where I spent some of the best years of my life... imagine coming to one of my favorite fashion blogs and seeing my beloved alma mater featured!! This brought back such wonderful memories, and it's lovely to see what a legacy of style I have to carry :)

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh these are so so lovely! and I'm working on my college app for them now! this just makes me even more excited!!

Anonymous said...

Those pictures are incredible! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Those pictures are incredible! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

These are so lovely! That one with the hairspray is cracking me up!

hsiu said...

Heartfelt thanks, from a Vassar alum, for posting these wonderful photos :)